Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Clear Tuesday Evening

My walk around the park today came after work around 5:30pm. It was fairly uneventful save for a couple of interesting bird sightings. The first was this Brown Thrasher on the south side. He wasn't that high up in a tree but was straight against the sun so much that I really had a hard time identifying it. It was a bit larger than most birds and with a longer tail so I knew it was something unique but for the life of me I couldn't make out the familiar bright yellow eyes. I realized later that was just due to poor lighting. Anyway I always like seeing these birds. This one stayed quiet but if you ever get to hear one, they are one of the most amazing sounding birds in our area. To hear one visit this link Brown Thrasher voice. On the west side I've been checking the dead treetops for Hummingbirds for a few weeks now but have still not seen any. To my surprise however there were a pair of Cedar Waxwings there instead. Though they are supposedly common in our area year round, I've come to think of them more as a winter bird at the park. They are everywhere in winter but seem to get scarce in the spring and then even more scarce in the late spring and summer. These were the first Waxwings I've spotted since May 29th. The one on the right looks like he had just picked a berry of some kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment