Saturday, June 16, 2012

Muggy, Buggy and Birdy

Well, you might see from now on that I may be keeping my journal entries a little shorter on the text side. After three years of blogging I'm finding that I'm struggling to keep up with entries on a regular basis. This is because I'm a slow writer and I take way too much time thinking about what I write, then correct it repeatedly and so on. What was intended to be something very fun can quickly lose it's appeal when I over think it. So going forward my posts may be simply more about what I saw, when and where and I'll leave it at that. The first photo here is of a fledgeling Robin somewhere on the south side of the park. He looked pretty skinny to me. On the north end of the park along the long, straight part of the trail, I encountered two Rose-breasted Grosbeaks perched right next to each other in a lower area of some small trees. First I thought the one sitting behind the male was a female but later my photos showed that it was a young fledgeling. I'm assuming the male was helping feed the young one as later I spotted it with nice big green insect in it's beak. During most of my walk it was so hazy and humid that it really brought out the bugs and mosquitoes. I was getting bit all over the place and was trying to hurry it up until back on the west side when I heard an unusual bird song. It was coming from very high up in a tree and when I looked I saw a tiny blue bird and realized it was an Indigo Bunting. I immediately got out my iphone which contains the "Birds of Minnesota" Audio CD's from Stan Tekiela, and began playing the Indigo Bunting sounds. To my surprise he moved in closer within just minutes and after a bit I found that he was nearly right above me! Even my camera lens was fogging up from the humidity but I was able to catch this one photo. Only a few moments later it started to sprinkle lightly and then finally rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment