Monday, December 12, 2011

First Northern Shrike of the season

I was tipped off yesterday by a fellow birder that there was a Northern Shrike in the area. Now that I've seen them a few times and know what to look for, I'm excited to try and get a better photo of one this year. I spotted one today on the northwest side just where I expected but as I went for a photo it took off and unfortunately I wasn't able to follow it against the drab, dreary sky. It was a "soupy" kind of overcast today with periodic drizzle but the temperature was a warm 39ยบ. This weather is pretty nice for mid-December, especially considering that almost one year ago to the day, we received 17 inches of snow! As I came around the southeast side of the park, I had a second opportunity when I spotted a Shrike in the narrow stand of trees overlooking the baseball fields. It definitely wasn't the better shot I'd been hoping for but at least I got to see him again and have something to show for it. My fellow birder friend told me that he'd seen the Shrike with a captured Chickadee. Now that would be a good photo! In this last photo you can get the idea of how dreary it was today. The warm temps are quickly doing away with the only inch of snow that was still on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if the lake starts to open up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment