Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Thunder and Rain

It had rained and stormed again overnight and when I arrived at the park this morning everything was still very wet. It was Memorial Day Monday and I was hoping things would dry out in time later for a picnic outside. That possibility was promising as the sun was peaking through periodically. With yet more rain I still stuck to the outer paved trails. Just after setting out I was able to spot a Yellow Warbler fairly close off the trail. I got to watch him sing while viewing him and this always helps me better remember their call in the future. It's a series of 3 to 4 high pitched "twicky-too" sounds -at least in my opinion. Near the north side I encountered another singing bird -a Song Sparrow. They sure sound a lot more like a brightly colored Warbler than the drab brown, speckled bird they are. They also seem to strain upward with every inch of energy they have when they call out their song. Kind of fun to watch. On the east side it had started to rain a little bit, then a bit more and I got nervous seeing as how I'd left my rain jacket behind. I picked up the pace but as I did, the thunder started rolling again. I even saw a bright flash of lightning as I was looking upwards for birds. I honestly thought it would not rain again but as I was back on the south side it began to pour down hard. I was getting really wet but paused as this open field because you could just see the rain in the air against the backdrop of trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment