Sunday, May 29, 2011

Calm Sunday Morning

It was cool and calm out this Sunday morning. The park was not busy in the least with a lot of people headed out of town for Memorial Day weekend. With the soggy condition of the wood chip trails, I stayed on the outer paved trails entirely. Around the southwest corner I spotted a large Red-tailed Hawk in a dead tree above me. I only got a few crummy shots before another smaller bird flew in and chased him off. When I got to the foot bridge over Shingle Creek on the north side, I decided to walk up the other trail a bit, following the creek. On the opposite side I spotted a Deer who'd obviously seen me first and stopped in it's tracks. It was another young Buck with new antlers. I scanned around and within a few seconds spotted what I thought was a Doe, but upon closer inspection with my binoculars, was another Buck with just 2 small nubs. The two caught up to each other and went bouncing off through the tall grass. The whole walk I could hear lots of Yellow Warblers and Orioles but never caught a glimpse of either one. Near the end of my route I heard a bird call I've not heard in a while and looked up to see a Blue Jay. I feel like there was still snow on the ground last time I saw one at the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment