Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fresh February snow

My last few walks have been very loud due to crunchy ice on the trails. With recent snow flurries, today was first quiet walk in a long time and it allowed me to get close to this deer. It was smaller in size with a face similar to that of the fawns I've seen with their mother. Though today it was completely on it's own, foraging in the deep snow. Following the very same trail it walked into the woods on, I crept along slowly, pausing behind large trees until it would forget about me again in favor of food. Gradually I got a little closer but it kept it's distance and gradually hopped right across the paved trail from which I originally spotted it. After completing my loop on the south side, I heard a siren coming closer and closer to the park so I paused to see if it was police or fire. As the ambulance flew by the park on 69th Avenue, I distinctly heard two separate high pitched howls coming from behind me. The older couple I run into frequently told me once that they've heard Coyotes howl when sirens go by. I kind of didn't believe them but I sure do now. It was plain as day and sure didn't sound anything like a dog. The sound also came from the same general area where I spotted a Coyote a couple years back. Sure would like to catch a picture of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment