Saturday, February 27, 2010

Owl Season

Well I'm starting to think February is THE time to see Owls at Palmer Lake. Today marked three sightings in my last three visits to the park. And just when I think I've captured my best view of one, I ended up catching an even better view today. After hearing a close "Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo" a few times from the trail on the northeast side I walked into the woods as quietly as possible through the melting snow. I heard him only one other time shortly after entering and I ended up walking way way past him. Only upon giving up and walking back out did I finally notice him sitting there silently in the sun. I couldn't believe how unobstructed my view was and I snapped as many pics as I could. Since he didn't move, I stalked around slowly through the mushy snow trying for a better angle and different lighting. Various spots presented different opportunities, such as a makeshift tripod on a broken tree. But whenever I found a good angle, I couldn't get him to look directly at me. I tried making some sqeaking noises to no avail and found that simply making a lot of racket with my feet in the snow was the most effective. During the whole ordeal he never even moved once, only turning his head periodically. After finally walking out of the woods and heading around the east side, I walked right up on a deer just on the inside of the trail. I snapped just a couple pics before watching him walk into the tall cattails and disappear. He or she was apparently alone as I didn't see any other movement around. The snow was melting so fast in the sun and 37ยบ temps today that it is forming some odd "vertical" standing crystals just off the trail here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment