Monday, February 22, 2010

Winter with an orange glow

I had the day off from work Monday but was not all that excited about getting out for a walk until later in the afternoon. When I finally arrived at the park around 4pm I decided to throw on my snowshoes and wander around some lesser traveled areas. After taking a slight detour into the middle I headed north east into the most wooded area of the park. The sun was making for some great lighting by the time I found myself in an unfamiliar area full of huge trees. My snowshoes were making quite a racket on the refrozen snow and at some point I scared up another Owl. I took note of his new perch and attempted to walk a little quieter. After a while I spotted him again directly in front of me, basking in the sun. It was difficult to find an angle without branches in the way but at least I could clearly see his bright yellow eyes. I sat and watched him for a long time and he was quite entertaining. As some ducks flew high overhead he tilted his already completely rotated head straight upwards into an angle I cant imagine any other animal could possibly do. He also periodically blinked his huge eyes independently and even yawned once or twice showing me his pink mouth. Now if I could just get a picture of him snatching up a mouse or something...ha! After realizing I didn't have much daylight left, I made my own path through some thick woods and deep snow that took much longer than expected to get me back onto the paved trail. I hurried back to the east side just in time to watch the sun go down and add a few more minutes of orange to the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment