Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feels like Spring

Today was even warmer than yesterday, hitting 39 degrees and making it feel like spring. Much of the paths are finally melting right down to the pavement now. Unfortunately there are parts of the trail that reside in the shade all day long and have about 2 inches of solid ice build up, still making it quite possible to fall on your ass. With the warm temps I expected the woods to be full of activity today but it was surprisingly quiet. On the west side I did spot a couple of deer way back in the woods. The photo's not great but you can tell that it's the young one and mother I've seen so often. From the north end of the park I snapped this pic to show you just how close the park is to downtown Minneapolis. I see this view every time I walk here. Some times the buildings are barely visible and sometimes they are perfectly clear but it always makes me appreciate the park even more and being able to spot a variety of wildlife so close to a metro area. Later on I ended up meeting a guy and his 3 legged black lab walking on the trail. He was very friendly and asked me if I'd ever seen any Coyotes. He said he'd live on the south side of the park for the last 25 years and has seen them walking right down the trail -even recently. I sure hope I get a chance to photograph one some time. After following the wood chip trail along the creek I heard some noise above me and looked up to find this Grey Squirrel peeking down at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment