Sunday, January 3, 2010

Winter wonderland

Another day below zero with clear blue skies. While crossing the bridge over Shingle Creek I stopped to listen to an owl and realized it wasn't far away. I figured if I could find him and get at least one photo, it would break my slump of having never spotted one on a bright sunny day. After trudging through 20 inch snow drifts towards the hooting, I realized a shorter path would be to just walk right on top of the creek. As I cautiously crept over the frozen water towards him, a second owl perched lower in the same tree soared out quickly. Soon the other followed and I was left half way down the creek with nothing to show for it. Having gone all this way I stopped to take in the new scenery I normally don't see. Two deer came bouncing out of nowhere and followed down the creek like it was a highway made just for them. After hiking all the way back to the path I actually got one more chance as I just barely noticed this motionless grey blob in some thick trees. It turned out to be a Barred Owl -the first one I've seen at Palmer Lake. A little further along I glanced towards the house where I'd seen the big group of deer earlier. Sure enough there was one there but to my surprise it was a six-point buck -a rare sight as of late. Back on the south side the frayed cattails were "glowing" against the low winter sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment