Saturday, January 9, 2010

First time snowshoeing!

There's more pictures than usual on this post but not because of all the wildlife I saw. Rather, it was the first time I've ever tried snowshoeing. With temps near zero for nearly two weeks straight I figured it was pretty safe to travel across the water and up the creek. The first thing I noticed upon walking onto the lake were "snow dunes" carved by the wind. It was very cool walking up the creek as I was really in the middle of the park with scenery I just don't ever see. In places you could look a long way without seeing anything man-made. After coming up to a sharp bend in the creek I could see how close I was to the small section of woods that sit smack dab in the middle of the park. I hiked up the embankment, backtracked a little and I was there. This was only the second time I'd ever made it out to the middle and right away I noticed the huge wild trees that have grown undisturbed for decades. After exploring for a bit and kicking up a deer here and there I headed back north. This would be a good point to show the path I took -snowshoe in blue and regular path in pink. About the time I finally made it back to the path is when I saw this large hawk and was the only wildlife that sat still for any time while my snowshoes crunched along loudly. I figured I'd even take a picture of them to mark the occasion. After being on them for a while it felt weird to walk normally again on the path. On the east side where the path comes close to the lake again, I decided to give it another go. It was fun to take a shortcut that won't even exist in another few months. As I was getting closer to the parking lot I began to notice how the snow drifts up towards -but not touch- the peninsulas of cattails. It was very weird as every outcropping had the same effect with close to a 3 foot drop in snow depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment