Friday, January 1, 2010

Cold New Years Day

Was 7º below zero on new years day 2010 but I still made it around the park. With the temps this low, all the snow we got over Christmas isn't going anywhere. In places the snowbanks are two to three feet deep. Again, walking was very loud so I didn't think I'd see many deer. Just before the bridge on the north side though, I spotted two of them walking way off in the distance. They were too far for a photo and as I was putting my camera away I noticed three more laying down in the snow. I don't know how they can lay in the cold snow like that. I thought maybe it conserves their energy better that way. Even though I was making lots of noise, and fairly close, they seemed content on just staying put. Some time after I saw a somewhat larger bird with a flash of red land way up in a tree. It made an unfamiliar noise so I zoomed in as quick as I could and got this one shot before he was gone. After looking it up in our bird guide I'm pretty sure it's a Red-Bellied Woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment