Saturday, January 16, 2010

January Thaw

Today was apparently the first day we've been above freezing since Christmas day. It darn near felt like spring despite the 10+ inches of snow still on the ground. Lots of people were out today and I even saw an elderly couple out jogging. Not only were both of them probably in their seventies, the guy was wearing shorts! If there weren't so many other people around I probably would have taken a picture of him. Ha ha. On a less busy part of the trail, I almost walked right into a doe standing motionless just feet off the trail. As I went for my camera she spooked and retreated back into some thick woods. I noticed what looked like two young ones with her. The longer I watched, the more movement I saw back in the woods. In all I think there were six or seven of them but none ventured close enough for a decent photo. I walked up the trail further to a clearing and I could see a couple of them from a distance and was the only photo I got. On the south side I took the woodchip trail and noticed a round little ball of fur sitting on top of the snow. I thought it was dead but then it started moving. It didn't look like a mouse as it had a much shorter tail and no visible ears. Plus he was as round as a tennis ball. I got so close to him I wondered if he was injured or deaf but then he finally ran away. After looking online I think it was a Vole.

No comments:

Post a Comment