Monday, May 28, 2012

More Memory for Memorial Day

As I set out to go 'round the park tonight I was using for the first time, a brand new SD card for my new camera. It holds 8GB and that I paid just $8 for so I was a bit apprehensive that it would perform well. For the price, I half expected it to give me problems -partial or corrupt photos. I took a bunch of photos of nothingness at first just to see if it worked and it seemed to be doing fine. Only five minutes into my walk I was able to spot a male Common Yellow throat fairly close up, though in a darker area. I really like seeing (and hearing) this bird and have developed a fondness for what I would call the "swamp bird" of the Warbler family. Almost anywhere you go in Minnesota near a marshy lake, you can hear the Common Yellowthroat. As common as they are though, you'll be hard pressed to get a long look at one as they are extremely quick and prefer thick areas such as the low areas of Cattails. Later on I was able to see an Osprey fishing over the lake, some Yellow Warblers, Cowbirds and an Nuthatch. Then on the north side I spotted an odd looking tangle of large birds trailed by a couple of Crows. The pair finally landed one one of the tall electrical poles running across the park. First one then the other, I could see from the sunlight the rusty red tail of a Red-tailed Hawk. Although I don't like taking bird photos with man-made structures in them, it's rare that I see two Red-tails this close together -especially perched in the same place. Only seconds after landing, the Red-tails were off again followed closely behind by the two Crows. I sometimes wonder which is worse in the bird world -to be the prey or to be the hunter. While watching this take place overhead I couldn't help but notice some other movement on the ground right out in front of me. There was something fairly large moving through the tall grass inside the trail. I was surprised to see this lone Turkey poking it's head up periodically while wading through the tall grass. I waited for quite a while until it finally made it's way out into some shorter grass where I could catch a better photo. There were no others around and I wondered if possibly it might have a nest out there somewhere in the grass. As I walked the rest of my route, I could hear a Memorial Day Service taking place at Mound Cemetery on the south side of 69th Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment