Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Extra Day with Stormy Skies

Today was my vacation day, rounding out a nice and extra long holiday weekend. I arrived at the park just before 4pm in order to get in a walk right before helping Friends of Palmer Lake Park survey an area to be pulled of invasive Buckthorn trees. The skies were a mix of layered light and dark clouds, dropping only a few scattered raindrops as I made my way around. On the south end right off the parking lot I noticed a couple of birds that didn't fit the size and color of things I've been seeing lately. I saw where they landed and realized it was a pair of Cedar Waxwings! I was kind of shocked as I don't think I've seen any since maybe March. The two stayed close together even as they moved from tree to tree. I could just barely notice a hint of bright red wingtips on one of them. On the north side, I again spotted a lone Wild Turkey in exactly the same place as last time. I'm almost positive now that she has a nest out there in the tall weeds. I'd like to walk out there and find it and see the eggs but I also didn't want to disturb her or possibly scare her away. Hopefully I will get to see the little ones soon. Along my way I saw and heard plenty of Baltimore Orioles but on the east side, I think I located a nest hanging from a tall tree. From a distance I swear I saw an Oriole climb into it but as I got closer, I could not for the life of me find the opening where it entered. Nor could I tell if there was indeed a bird inside. But as I watched, this male came and landed in the same tree very near the hanging nest. He didn't go up to it but hung around for quite a while. Maybe he was guarding the nest. At this point I can't say that I've ever positively seen a female Oriole but I think I would have had a good chance today had I just been 3 minutes ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment