Thursday, March 15, 2012

Warm and Humid for March

Now that daylight savings time has kicked in, I can finally get in a walk after work before the sun sets -and without having to rush. For the middle of March, it was an extremely warm and humid evening somewhere around 75ยบ I think. It felt more like May or even June! The first thing I spotted was this mature Bald Eagle on the south side of the park. He was perched in one of the tall Cottonwood trees right near the parking lot but before I could get close he decided to take off toward the middle of the park. Later I spotted a Mourning Dove, lots of Mallards, Chickadees and Cardinals, but the bird that is now dominating the park are Red-winged Blackbirds. I've decided they are the second most noisy birds right behind Starlings. Their loud calls can be heard everywhere in the park now, but I've not seen a single female yet -only the males so far. As I came back to the east side parking lot the sun was setting as I watched the RWB hopping from one cattail to another, sometimes making the seeds burst into the air like snow. The spectacular orange sunset lasted a long time and I just enjoyed the view and reflection onto the lake as the Mallards and Canada Geese floated by. Hoping to see some different types of Ducks soon like Mergansers or Teals but it may be too early yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment