Saturday, March 17, 2012

Another Warm Weekend!

This Saturday morning was another beautiful, sunny day with the high temp reaching 70 degrees. It's hard to believe that it's still March. Today above a little pond on the southeast side I spotted a bird I'd forgotten about but has clearly come back for the season. There were about 3 or 4 Grackles hopping around on some low hanging branches over the water. Depending on the angle and lighting, their heads can look surprisingly bright blue as was the case today. There were also lots of other Red-winged Blackbirds around and it was a good opportunity to listen to the difference in their calls which at first can sound fairly similar. Shortly later I had a better chance at another Goldfinch, the 2nd or 3rd I'd seen already. The males are turning more yellow every day and it's getting easier to spot them. They were also making a lot of cheerful noises today. Earlier I'd spotted a young Bald Eagle circling over the lake. As I made my way around the south side, it came closer and closer as it circled only 50 feet overhead. Once I watched it hover for a bit above the water, something I didn't really associate with a Bald Eagle. It eventually dove into the cattails on the far end from me. Through my binoculars I watched it come up out of the cattails for a few seconds only to dive right back down into them. This went on for a while but I never saw it come up with anything in it's claws. I'm not sure but from the photo, it looks like this young Eagle might have been banded.

No comments:

Post a Comment