Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bring on Spring!

Today's weather was unbelievable. It was already 49º by the time I arrived at the park around 9:20am. There was a stiff breeze but it continued to warm up even more and it was truly like a Spring day. The first thing of interest I spotted was a pair of Wood Ducks near where the creek flows back out of Palmer lake. They didn't stay put long but I managed to catch the Male before they both flew off. I'd also spotted a group of 3 Deer along the way and got a few good pics but am not posting them today in favor of some much more interesting sights. As I got to bridge over Shingle Creek on the north side, I immediately noticed a large group of Turkeys heading down the creek bank! It was a fantastic sighting as they were closer than I normally get to them and they were quite active and not spooked by my presence. I watched two of them walk all the way down to the creek for a drink. But if that weren't neat enough, the decided to fly one-by-one directly across the creek to the other side. I was able to capture 2 or 3 of them in flight and this is the one that turned out the best. Now on the other side of the creek they were even closer to me and took tons of photos. I counted 8 of them and there was about an equal mix of toms and hens. I wanted to get as many as I could in one shot but of course they didn't stay that close together. This photo was taken right from the bridge as I steadied my camera on the hand rail. Eventually all 8 of them made their way up the creek bank and filed in line across the paved trail to the wooded area behind the apartments on the north end. This was the most Turkey's I'd ever seen in one group at the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment