Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Red-winged Blackbirds Return

It's been staying light out longer and longer now and it's all the more obvious in the past week. Also our high temps are still above average reaching into the 40s and sometimes 50s. On Thursday I rushed home from work as quickly as I could and arrived at the park by 5:45pm. I had limited daylight so I walked quickly and not seeing much. Was hoping for some better pics but I was more or less "skunked." One thing I did notice -and hear- however were a few Red-winged Blackbirds out near the middle of the park. I was not expecting them back this early yet but I assume since most of the country is above average in temps that spring migration will be early this year. As I was watching one through my binoculars, I swore I saw a Northern Shrike chasing after one of the RWBs but I can't say for sure. It may have been a Blue Jay. That would have made for cool photo. It began getting too dark for photos only about half way through my walk and I found the only thing of interest to be a full moon overhead periodically draped in passing clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment