Sunday, April 17, 2011

All about the birds

The weather today was a whole lot better than yesterday -around 55º and sunny. Today was all about the birds as I seemed to hear or see a different one every few minutes. I didn't see a single Deer but that's probably because I had my head to the sky most of the time. On the north side before the foot bridge I spotted a group of 10 or more Cedar Waxwings. They were still picking at leftover, dried up Buckthorn berries. Only one stayed put long enough for a photo but he was in kind of a darker area of a larger tree. In the same little swamp where I'd seen the Great Egret yesterday was a lone Coot right near the path. I usually don't get this close to them so I snapped a few pics and watched him for a while. One feature I'd never noticed before is they have this weird "chestnut" looking bump at the very top of their bill. Many birds were content to sit still for me today which was odd -maybe they were soaking up the sun. One bird that was doing just that was this House Sparrow. I normally don't photograph Sparrows or wrens as they're small, don't usually stay put, and all tend to look alike. I think I'm going to try though from now on as it should help me learn all the subtle differences. As I was about to get back into my vehicle back at the parking lot, I could hear a bird making all kinds of different calls. Whenever I can place a call with a visual, there's nothing better to help me remember that bird later. I walked a bit until I found the source of all the noise and spotted another American Goldfinch. I had no idea they were such song birds.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos and nice Blog
    I was down there myself that day. I decided to walk around the whole park and I really enjoyed it.
    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete