Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dark Saturday evening

I didn't make it to the park until about quarter to 7 this Saturday evening. Though the forecast called for a break in the clouds, it remained dark, cold and windy all day long. There actually was a lot to see but unfortunately it was one of those days where the light was just too dim for my camera. I'm continuing to see more Yellow-rumped Warblers and also saw the Mink again on the south side of Shingle Creek. I've also caught glimpses of Wild Turkeys here and there since my first sighting a couple weeks ago. Tonight I had one in view for quite a while near the creek on the southwest side. It wandered back and forth for a while and eventually walked off into the Cattails. I saw a group of 3 Deer shortly afterward and then I spotted the first Bluebird of the season as well. I took lots of pictures of both the Deer and Bluebird but again they just weren't turning out. On the north side I did a double-check with my binoculars on what seemed to be an odd looking Robin and realized it was the Kestral! Last time I'd seen one there was still snow on the ground. He was quite a ways away and when I hiked closer he took off so this is the best shot I got. A little while later I spotted another lone Turkey and a few more Deer. Then another group of 10 more Deer as it was really starting to get dark. As I was coming all the way around back to my vehicle in the parking lot, the clouds broke way way off in the horizon and the sun finally shown for the first time in the day. It was short lived but a brilliantly colored sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment