Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cold and Wiiinnnnnndddddy

This Saturday I actually had to break out my winter hat again. Not only was the temp around just 35 or 36º but it was extremely windy. I don't know what it was gusting to, but at times it was hard to walk against. The lake itself even had whitecaps on the water! Despite the crummy weather I was able to see quite a bit and took exactly 70 photos. On the far north end by the drainage ditch I came across what started as a small group of 2-3 Deer. As I snapped pictures, more and more appeared and after a while the group grew to 8 or 9. They were moderately close when I first saw them but many of them actually moved closer to me. A few were brave enough to venture within about 10 feet of me! At this distance I had no problem seeing the two small bumps on his head. This is probably the earliest I've been able to confirm seeing a young Buck. It seemed like after a while the group got used to me but then all of a sudden all of their heads perked up. I looked behind me to see a biker coming down the trail so I moved on. On the east side I spotted a Great Blue Heron in one body of water, and the first Great Egret of the season in another. I did get shots of both but the Heron made for a slightly better pic. Right after I took this shot, he flew over and kicked the Egret out of his spot. Shortly afterward I noticed a bunch of little birds on the ground and on the chain link fence surrounding the baseball fields. What caught my attention was small, bright yellow patches on their wings and head. The rest of them was slightly blue-ish. This was definitely not a bird I've seen before so I tried for a long time for a good picture. Unfortunately all 30 or 40 stayed out in the grass and would move away as a group when I got too close. I confirmed later from my field guide that they are Yellow-rumped Warblers!

No comments:

Post a Comment