Saturday, February 19, 2011

Surprises on Saturday

Since the last time I visited the park, most of MN had experienced some unusually warm temps for the middle of February. For close to a week, high temps remained in the 40's and even reached over 50 one day! Tons of snow have melted and you can even see the ground in some places again. The paved paths around the park were for the most part melted off and even dry today, making for easy walking again. Just after I rounded the south west corner, I spotted something in a tree only about 15 feet above the trail. At first I thought it was plastic bag until I looked closer and realized it was a Hawk. He was really close to the trail so I stayed back, trying to find a good photo angle that didn't have branches in the way. As I slowly inched closer I could really see a lot of detail in his markings and realized it was not the same type of Hawk I typically see at the park. He had a rich gray, almost blue color on his back and distinct dark bands on his tail. Eventually I got closer than I would have ever expected and snapped a couple of photos showing his bright red eyes. I had a suspicion that it was a Cooper's Hawk and after getting home and reading my field guide I think I am correct. The round shape of the tail feathers are apparently one of the few features that distinguish it from a Sharp-shinned Hawk. There were a ton of other birds out today and even the Robins were active. Maybe the warm temps last week got them thinking spring. I snapped a photo of this one eating berries off the trees. So for anyone who still thinks Robins only eat worms, here is proof of how they can survive a Minnesota winter. On the north side I got a big surprise when a group of 8 Deer popped into view walking towards me through the woods. To my amazement, 4 of the 8 were Bucks who still had their antlers! This breaks a number of records in my book -the most Bucks I've ever seen together, and definitely the latest in the season I've spotted antlers. When they spotted me, they started moving quicker into thick woods so I had to turn around and follow them, the way I'd just came from. I really wanted to get a pic with all 4 Bucks but they'd gotten too far away and too split up, so this is the best one I got. I've already been looking for antler sheds a few times this year but now I think I'd be best to wait until the end of February.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very nice blog! I like the way it is laid out and the pictures are very good too. I've been to this park a number of times and have enjoyed it. My friend Paul said he saw you today and alerted me to your blog. I used to have a blog on aol and then briefly here and I occasionally post things to my friends. Keep up the good work.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete