Sunday, February 6, 2011

Long Sunday hike

Today was Superbowl Sunday and another typical Minnesota Winter day. I feel like I haven't seen the sun in weeks now because it seriously only clears up during the work week -while I'm stuck inside the office. I might have discovered where the Mink went as I noticed a whole bunch of small cat-like footprints on the frozen water on the southwest side. When I went to take a photo of the tracks, I realized I forgot my memory card! Luckily I had a spare in my camera case but it was super small and would hold only 16 photos. On the north side I noticed one deer way back in the woods near the town homes bordering the park. I decided to walk into the woods upon finding a nicely worn Deer path and headed directly toward him. As I got closer I could see that there were four of them, two Does and two Fawns. They were in some pretty thick stuff and stayed more or less in single file, likely due to the deep snow and the narrow path they had. The Deer trail worn into the deep snow split off in many directions but would often merge back with the main trunk. With all the activity I soon began to think that it might be a good place to look for shed Antlers. So I found myself on quite a long hike following the weaving trails that took me to some places of the park I've never ventured before. The trails were narrow but packed down enough to hold even my weight. However, if I accidentally planted my foot just inches off the trail, my leg would go crashing through the snow up to my waist! When I eventually made it back onto the paved path, I heard an Owl calling from a close distance. I looked behind me to realize I'd hiked right past him, probably because I was focusing more on the trail. He was pretty close so I trudged right through some untrodden snow to get closer. This proved to be pretty difficult as I was again up to my waist in snow with every step. He was facing the opposite way at first but eventually turned around to face me. As he did so I caught a closer display of their large talons than I've ever witnessed before. It's no wonder they can scoop up small mammals as they almost have hooks on the end of their feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment