Saturday, January 8, 2011

Coyote Sighting First Visit of 2011

I guess I kind of wore myself out last month so today, January 8th was my first visit of 2011. It was the coldest day of the year so far with the morning staring out well below zero, so I waited until after noon for the temps to warm up a bit. Instead of my normal walk around the park I was joined by my wife on a snowshoeing trek. It was a beautifully bright sunny day but we were both cold as we headed up the frozen creek. When we were closest to the middle we cut over and explored some big trees and some groves of Buckthorn. Our snowshoes made an awful racket on top of the crusty snow due to the rain in late December. Thus there was not much wildlife to photograph. After crossing the middle of the park we ran into another guy on snowshoes who said that he saw a Coyote earlier that appeared to have been scared up by us walking up the creek. I was really disappointed that we hadn't noticed it. Eventually we turned around and ended up coming back almost the same way we came in, heading back down the frozen creek. Shortly after pausing to look at a Hawk through my binoculars, I caught a glimpse of something running off to the east. Sure enough it was a Coyote and I tore my camera out of the case just in time to catch a LONG distance shot. I cropped the photo here really far in so you can see him better and notice that both hind legs are off the ground at the same time. After seeing and photographing a Coyote on my very first visit of the year, I can't wait to see what the rest of 2011 will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment