Sunday, January 9, 2011

Another Coyote Sighting

Apparently this is the time of year to see Coyotes at the park. This makes two sightings in two days -an extremely rare occurrence for me, despite my frequent visits. I decided to snowshoe yet again today and cut across the frozen lake and up to the middle of the park. All along the way I was spotting Coyote tracks and taking note of how they walked and where. In most places they were able to stay on top of the deep snow but every now and again, one paw would crash through and drop about a foot or more. I myself was running into the same problems even on snowshoes. Anytime I was near lots of Cattails I would crash right through the snow, sinking up to my knees. The worst part about when this happens is that it's really hard to get out without crashing through again. After trekking through the middle and not seeing any wildlife, I decided to stop and just stand still for a while near a group of wild trees. I stood there until I got bored and turned around to my right to head in another direction. It was right then I spotted a Coyote at fairly close range. He had been walking straight towards me! He spotted me immediately and took a hard right, then took off running. I figured because he was running I'd never get a photo, so I flipped my camera to video instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment