Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rare Sun and Warmth

Today was seriously the nicest day I think we've had so far this December. The sun was out in full blast and the temps (in the sun) shot up to slightly over 40 degrees! Considering how crummy this December has been, it was a breath of fresh air. I ended up taking just a couple of pics by the time I was well past the bridge on the north side. I thought I'd heard an Owl down another paved entrance to the park so I went to check it out. Instead I found this male Cardinal that was holding so still I actually thought he was fake for a second. As I wandered further down the new trail I spotted 3 or 4 Deer through the woods near some houses on the edge of the park. It looked like there were at least a couple of Fawns and Does who found something of interest near the edge of the woods. Later I spotted a couple more down in the valley of the creek/drainage ditch that I could only view with my binoculars. As I was watching them, a much larger Deer with a 6 or 8 point rack walked through my long distance view! They were much too far away for a photo but I thought it was cool to see a Buck again regardless. By the time I got back to the parking lot it was nearing 4:30pm and the sun was starting to cast an unfamiliar orange glow on the tree tops. I stopped for one last photo of icicles hanging from a Pine tree -another reminder of how warm it was today.

No comments:

Post a Comment