Sunday, September 19, 2010

Season about to change

Though it's not officially Autumn for another two days, it sure has felt like it for the past few weeks. High temps are only in the mid 50's to low 60's now but I refuse to get out my jacket just yet. I saw just one deer this walk, a Doe that stayed mostly hidden near the edge of the cattails on the south side. Really not much to see the rest of my walk but on two occasions as I was bird watching, I noticed mushrooms way up in the trees. Not the "shelf" kind you would expect to be attached to a tree, but the more common umbrella shaped ones you' normally find on the ground. I figured the first one was a total fluke at about 30 feet up in a tree. Then I saw a group of them at about the same height in a different tree. I would have never expected to see them in such a place. Upon returning to the parking lot, a bush covered in bright red stems caught my eye. It looked as though berries or something may have been attached to the tips but there was nothing there now. Whatever it is, I sure didn't notice it before so maybe the stems have just turned red recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment