Saturday, September 18, 2010

Last days of Summer

I had to get in a very fast walk this morning due to other plans for the day. So many of the birds I've seen this year are already gone for the winter. One bird that is year round though are Downy Woodpeckers. The red patch of this male caught my eye on the east side. As I passed the ball fields a bit later, I paused to watch a big group of Ducks hoping to spot a Wood Duck. As so often happens, when I stop to look at a common sight, I end up noticing something more interesting. Just a few feet below me I noticed a small furry Muskrat. Then another right next to it. As I focused my camera, one quickly dipped into the water. As it swam just below the surface I could follow where it was as the floating green algae would periodically part for a few seconds due to the commotion below. Eventually the other one went under too but popped his head out briefly for this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment