Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fall Flooding

Earlier in the week, we got half an inch of rain. Then mid-week almost the entire lower part of Minnesota was hit with huge amounts of rainfall. Amounts near ten inches were recorded in lower portions of the state but here in the Twin Cities metro area we received about two inches. I didn't think it was possible but water levels at the park have continued to rise. Since the path pretty much circles the outer edge of the lower-lying swamp, water is creeping outwardly towards the path in all directions. Though it's not a common sight on the trees yet, a few brightly colored signs of fall can be found here and there laying on the rich green grass. Even as it continued to rain this morning, birds were out in full force. I saw a Hawk, Cardinals, Catbirds, Robins, Chickadees, Coots, Downy Woodpeckers and even a Pileated Woodpecker in flight. But probably the most interesting bird I saw today were more Yellow Warblers. I don't know why I've never noticed them before but they are just everywhere now. Pretty sure I've only been seeing females as they are this odd colored dirty yellow, almost greenish-yellow on the belly. Interestingly I've noticed them more often near foliage of the very same color -which is especially prevalent now with many of the leaves in that "in-between" green and yellow stage. I watched this one for a while perform areal acrobatics usually reserved for Hummingbirds. It would leap upwards, hover mid-air and pick at these wispy leaves. I thought it was attracted to the plant itself but my field guide says it's diet is strictly insects. So maybe it was picking small bugs off the leaves. The wet weather has brought out the snails again. This one was half buried in water even on the path.

1 comment:

  1. You've quite the talent for nature photography! I hope you find the new equipment that you're thinking of. That snail photo feels so lifelike!

    ReplyDelete