Thursday, September 16, 2010

Swimming Raccoons

It's getting tougher all the time now to squeeze in a walk after work. It's fully dark by 8:00pm now but with a cloudy and overcast day, you can be out of daylight even sooner. Before I explain the crazy title of this post, I did see a couple of moderately interesting sights. I parked and started on the east side tonight and quickly noticed a bright blue bird perched near the edge of the ball fields. This is the very first Bluebird I've seen at the park. Despite stalking it from tree to tree, I was unable to get any good photos. During my walk I saw a crazy amount of deer. They were on the move near sunset and were popping out right in front of me on the trail every few minutes. Due to the low-light conditions though, I didn't get a single blog-worthy photo. But a bit later I spotted one more a long ways away out in the cattails. I could barely pick out a set of antlers but my camera in fact showed a nice young 8 point Buck! As I got to my favorite part of the park, the sun was just starting peaking out underneath the overcast sky. For only a minute, everything lit up a golden green. As some geese flew by I took two pictures before I turned my attention back downwards. When I did, there just ten feet in front of me was a Raccoon! The second, he realized that I saw him, he did a full-on belly flop right into the water! I couldn't believe it. I heard quite a bit of rustling of cattails and then just silence. I stood there dumbfounded waiting for him to come back or make some more noise but there was nothing. I even sat down and waited a while before finally giving up. When I finally did, I walked past the thickets of grape vines near the mouth of the creek and saw a sight that I didn't really believe. Something large was swimming down stream in a "beaver-like" fashion, only it had a bushy, striped tail. I went downstream a bit to hopefully capture a picture but nothing came by. I was so intrigued that I went back to grape vines and peered again through the spotty openings. Again I saw a large creature but paid special attention to the tail floating on the water behind. It was indeed a Raccoon and I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. They're as good a swimmer as any Beaver!

No comments:

Post a Comment