Saturday, August 28, 2010

Well Camoflauged nature

Upon entering the wood chip trail on the south side this morning I was startled by a Doe standing very still off to my right. She didn't move until I approached closer and she jumped off into the woods. Then I noticed a couple of Fawns in the tall grass behind were she was standing. They were a long ways back behind a lot of brush so I crept slowly closer for a better angle. They watched intently until I was too close for comfort before they too bounced away. I never did get great pics of them being in such a thick area. After standing there for a while and realizing they were probably long gone, I noticed this neat looking orange and black beetle on a sunny green leaf below me. It wasn't something I see everyday so I thought I'd take a picture. When I got real close and zoomed in I noticed tiny, tiny bugs perched on it's back. My first thought is that they were mites but now I'm wondering if maybe they were offspring of the beetle. Regardless, it's kind of an interesting sight. I headed on, stopping just a couple times for more closeups of fuzzy caterpillars and grasshoppers. Not too much longer I came to the east side where I walked right past an unusually brown patch of leaves before thinking "hmmm." I walked backwards a few steps and realized it was a Doe laying just a few feet inside the trail. She was grooming and didn't seem to mind me taking a few photos. I must have been there for 5 minutes, attempting to get a better photo before I realized there was a young fawn laying even five feet closer to me! It barely moved so I never noticed it. Seconds later I spotted the 2nd fawn laying just behind the Doe. Man, I couldn't believe I was so close and hadn't noticed them! The fawn would periodically point it's nose up in the air attempting to learn my scent. I only recently learned that a fawns white spots are supposed to emulate sunlight passing through the leaves and breaking up into little bright spots on the forest floor. It obviously works pretty well!

No comments:

Post a Comment