Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fungi Season

Sad to say but I've been getting to the park less frequently lately. One reason is that it's been just too blasted hot this August. For a couple of days there I actually missed winter! This hot and humid weather has been producing a wide variety of mushrooms in the park -some of which I've not seen before. This first reminds me of a whale with a "blow-hole" on top. It was also gigantic for a mushroom -slightly larger than a football! Later on the wood chip trail on the south side I noticed these huge patches of white blobs popping up. The largest of which looked pretty much like "prickly marshmallows." They were so many in each clump that they were pushing against each other like a bunch of bubbles. I'd like to take time lapse video of these things as you could just tell that they grew almost overnight. Keeping with today's theme, I spotted yet another odd fungus on the east side. I doubt this one has been growing as ferociously as the others as it appeared a bit more permanent and firmly planted. It looked very much like a little waterfall spilling down the tree stump it was growing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment