Sunday, August 29, 2010

End of August

I got to the park about the same time as I did yesterday. Our days are still warm but the mornings are now noticeably cooler. I ended up taking about 1/3 as many photos as I did yesterday and struggled to get 3 blog-worthy ones for this post. This first is my favorite and my best attempt so far at a closeup of the giant green Dragonflies that are common this time of year. On the opposite side of the park I f0und myself trudging through some tall weeds in search of a photo of a Blue Jay of all things. He took off before I was even ready but in my view now was a Wood Duck with bright red eyes. I'm actually quite confused to whether this is a male or female. At first glance it appears to be a male but it really lacks the bright coloring on the head and chest. But there's also no visible white ring around the eyes that the females have. So maybe it is just a younger male. Something I see pretty regularly at the park in the summer time are Barn Swallows. But they're rarely sitting still and fluttering around much too quickly for a photo. I often see them just barely skimming the grass on the ball fields -probably catching insects. There were fairly large bunches of them high up in the tree tops on the south east side today and the only really photo opportunity I've ever had of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment