Sunday, August 8, 2010

Miserably Hot

Man, today is the hottest and most humid day I've experienced in years. Maybe I'm getting older and less tolerant but WOW, it is seriously uncomfortable outside! Late last night it had rained 2/10 of an inch and the humidity is so extreme you'd think it was still raining. Temps were reaching the high-eighties hours earlier than yesterday as I arrived at the park today. As if sweat stinging my eyes, and fogging up glasses were not annoying enough, my camera's batteries kept dying on me too. Somehow I managed three blog-worthy photos though. The first is a new species of bird I've not seen before at Palmer Lake, a Belted Kingfisher. The park sure seems like a great fit for them with all the water, but seriously this is the first one I've seen there. No idea if male or female as it was way too far away. Just seconds later I noticed a pair of Great Blue Herons in a small tree by the water's edge. This was was squawking at the other one. On the east side I walked right past a rust colored patch in the woods before turning around for a second look. Only a few feet of the path were both fawns laying down in the shade trying to stay cool. I looked for the mother but never saw her. I got just this one pic before my camera died again.

No comments:

Post a Comment