Saturday, September 4, 2010

New Birds!

My first visit this September revealed two brand new birds I've not before seen in the park. That is, assuming I've correctly matched up my amateur photos with my field guide. This first one I'm still not that sure about but I think is a Female Red-breasted Grosbeak. I'm basing this almost purely on the white "eyebrow" patch across the eye along with it's otherwise drab, rust coloring. The shape of the beak does also fit, so I think this is right. I have seen the more obvious male Grosbeaks in the park before but have never managed a photo. Later on I spotted a super bright red patch among the green foliage and thought it was a foil bag or something. By the time I realized it was a Cardinal, I was too close and scared him off. As my camera was still focusing though, a small yellow bird popped out into view. At first I was sure it was just a female Goldfinch but upon closer inspection of the photo I'm pretty sure it's a Yellow Warbler. Both male and female Goldfinches have black wings and this one's wings were mostly the same yellow color. The shape of the bill is also more slender and narrow. Near the end of my walk I grabbed this pic from the water overlook. The water level is again nearly even with the lowest railroad tie due to two heavy rainfalls in the past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment