Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nature's Jackhammer

Today marks my fourth consecutive visit to the park this week. I'm glad I set a goal for more frequent visits as you just never know what you might see. Tonight was certainly no exception as I came across two Pileated Woodpeckers together on the north side. My previous encounters with these birds have been much further away but this evening I was finally able to view them VERY close up! It started as I noticed just one at ground level hammering away at a fallen tree. I found it tough to get a photo of him (or her) as it was so interested in the log that it would crawl towards the underside and disappear beneath the underbrush. I must have taken 50+ photos before I caught one decent one. In addition, this bird hammers away at dead wood like nothing I've ever seen before. After the second bird hopped up onto the same log I had the rare opportunity to see both a male and female at the same time. Together, they made short work of the log and I even saw one of them prying large chunks of bark off with their beak. I tried hard for a shot with both of them together but they never really got close enough. During the long time I watched them, I krept closer ever so slowly and quietly as not to scare the away. I did hear their call a couple times and it immediately made me think of Woody Woodpecker as it was kind of a crazy kind of "laugh." As close as I was, I took close to 100 shots before catching just a few of these blog-worthy pics. While they weren't hammering away, they would pause and pitch their head in about 2-3 different directions within about two seconds. So these photos were no easy task with my $200 point and shoot camera! Note the female has only a partial red "cap" versus the male's complete red cap. The male also had a red "moustache" behind the beak compared to black behind the beak on the female. Quite the subtle difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment