Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

It was fitting that my record fifth daily visit to the park fell on Earth Day. Even better was that I saw a record 19 deer in one visit! Of course, the last eight or nine could have easily been the same ones I'd seen earlier as the park is just not that big :) The first group I saw on the west side was large but I estimated on the low side at eight. I think then I saw two more, then four more near the bird feeders on the north side, then three more, then two more. They were just everywhere I looked which was pretty fun. Out of all those groups though, I only captured 2 pics worthy of posting and they're of individual deer. I don't remember but I think both of these were from the large group of eight on the west side. After crossing the bridge on the north side I got a surprise as an owl darted out right in front of me and perched in a tree looking over the middle of the park. It was exciting because I just don't see owls here outside of winter time. I figure they must be there in other seasons but seriously, you'd think they're flying south in the springtime because it's rare I see them otherwise. It was getting dark by this time but I was even more excited to see it was a Barred Owl as they are even a bit more uncommon here. Birds of all sizes and colors were out at dusk and it's hard to tell for sure but I think some of them were Brown-headed cowbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment