Sunday, April 11, 2010

Greening up

The small buds I'd noticed a couple of weeks ago are now turning into leaves and the park is slowly becoming green again. I've noticed that birch trees seem to be the first ones although I think this one might be a Boxelder because of the weird reddish colored hanging fruit. Red-winged Blackbirds seem to be taking over the park at this point, but I guess it wouldn't be a swamp without their familiar "chirping." I hadn't thought of it before but I guess only the males have the recognizable red and yellow shoulder patches. According to my bird book, the males return from migration before the females so it makes sense why I've been seeing so many. On the east side I caught a quick glimpse of a Garter Snake getting some sun just off the paved trail. It was between 2 and 3 feet long, and was an unusual sight for so early in the year I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment