Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sunbirds

After such nice warm temps, the bright sun was deceiving this morning and I felt under-dressed as I set out. I actually went back to my truck for my hooded scarf as the temps were only in the 30's. About two weekends ago I recognized the familiar sound of Red-winged blackbirds returned to the park. Today they were everywhere, soaking up the sun and chirping loudly. Chickadees were doing the same and searching for food in a rotted tree. On the northeast side I decided to walk into the woods a ways in search of an owl. I didn't see any but I did spot two Red-bellied Woodpeckers hammering away at another rotten tree. After the one flew off, the other decided to crawl right into the tree and peak back out. Shortly afterward I heard and spotted two more of them. Since you can usually hear them before spotting them, I am trying to remember their unique "querrr" or "kwirrr" sound. You can hear for yourself at this website: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker/sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment