Sunday, March 21, 2010

Signs of Spring

Was another warm, beautiful day on Sunday and I saw -and heard- a little bit of everything. Though most everywhere is still drab and brown, things are slowly but surely turning green. I would have missed this budding tree had I not practically walked into it while watching out for deer. On that thought I wondered about my chance of finding any shed antlers so I detoured into the woods on the southwest side. I'd walked through almost the same area last March with no luck, but you never know. The soil here is pitch black and mushy, but not necessarily muddy. It's kind of weird like foam or something, probably from the constant falling leaves and rotting wood. The first thing to catch my eye was a bit of red feathers, likely from a Cardinal. As I was taking a few close ups, I heard some sirens going by in the distance. All of a sudden there was this flurry of high pitched howling coming out of the cattails. It was louder and more distinct than I'd ever heard before and I figured they must have been really close to me. I got pretty excited that I might actually catch a glimpse of a Coyote but no such luck today. I'm thinking of possibly learning how to "call" them just to see these elusive critters for more than a split second. Shortly afterward I was keeping my eyes on the ground and noticed a 10 inch stick that seemed too white. It was "balled" on the end and was obviously a bone of some sort -maybe a leg? I hunted around the same area for a while before finding a second, shorter version and then finally a very small fragment only a couple inches long. I decided to prop them up against a tree for a pic just because I'd found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment