Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday the 13th

I got a "free pass" of sorts today as our offices unexpectedly closed up early and I found myself free on a beautiful late afternoon. The weather was simply awesome today as cooler weather had finally arrived. It was sunny, cool, dry and calm –everything a Minnesotan rarely has! I was tempted to go birding at the cemetery near my workplace but chose PLP instead, thinking I'd have a better chance for migrating fall Warblers. And I did see one right off the bat –a Northern Waterthrush bobbing his tail up and down on the muddy shore of a small pond near the east side. I was hoping for a better photo but I'm happy to spot this bird at all as they blend into their environment extremely well. In fact I put an arrow in this photo so you can locate him easier. This would prove to be the only Warbler I spotted today but I'm always happy when I'm able to see a Bluebird. I heard this one singing long before I found him atop the chain link backdrop to the baseball diamond on the west side. I was hoping his position would give me enough leeway to get close to him and indeed I did. I was able to get right up underneath this male and snapped a funny shot of him looking suspiciously at me. I'm wondering how much longer the Bluebirds will stick around before heading south. I really took my time walking the rest of the way as it was just so nice outside. As the sun was setting I found myself standing out in a field of tall ragged weeds, still hoping for another Warbler. Instead I caught this Goldfinch peering down at me from a Buckthorn tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment