Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cool and Overcast Sunday

Well I think our late summer warmth has finally gone away. The temperature this morning was a surprising 37 degrees! And it was the first time I found myself wearing not only blue jeans, but a long-sleeved sweatshirt as well. It was kind of a nice change actually. Though the only Warbler I saw was a Common Yellowthroat, I saw a fair amount of other birds. In fact I saw 90% of all my birds today in one small area. Just off of the woodchip trail on the south end of the park is an area full of tall weeds and shrubs that give birds lots of hiding places as well as food sources I'm assuming. I stayed here for a good 20 minutes and in that time saw: Rose-breasted Grosbeak, American Goldfinch, Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, Brown Thrasher, Black-capped Chickadee and Gray Catbird. A few of the Blue Jays I saw seemed to be carrying Acorns in their beaks. The Catbird I got the best photo of however was nearer the east end of the park as I was heading back to my vehicle. They rarely sit so still for me and I was happy to get this and a few other decent shots. Around the park I also noticed a few small snails slowly crossing the paved trail like they always do. I often pick them up and help them across so that they don't get crushed by bikers or joggers. Like Monarchs, they have been few and far between this year for some reason. In other years I've had to really watch my step to avoid stepping on them just while walking on the paved trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment