Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Color of Winter

There can be such a lack of color outside in January and February that it can feel like you're living in a black and white movie from the past. Anything that has the faintest hint of color really stands out –from a red Cardinal, to the bright orange feet of a Mallard. As I was walking around the Duck Pond today on the south west corner of the park I paused to watch the Mallards. They must have assumed I had some food for them and immediately the whole group started clumsily up the snowy banks. Some found it easier to fly up the short distance and I snapped a couple of photos as they did. I just let them walk right up underneath me, almost stepping on my feet while I stayed very still and I felt like part of their group for a minute. Gradually they realized I had no food for them and they returned to the water which was likely warmer than the snowbank. Some other birds I spotted today were a Red-tailed Hawk, Dark-eyed Junco, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, and a few cluster of 3-4 American Tree Sparrows. This bright red Cardinal made for the best photo –though I really had to lighten up the image to show some detail. It was after 4:30 in the afternoon by now and the dreary landscape was slowly losing even more light. At about 5:10pm I wandered out into the field near 70th Avenue North to catch a glimpse of the sun setting underneath the blanket of winter clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment