Sunday, February 17, 2013

Great Backyard Bird Count - Day 2

On my second day of the Great Backyard Bird Count, I saw almost exactly half the total number of the birds I saw yesterday. Yesterdays total was 57 and today was only 28. As I said before it's a bit frustrating to be counting and reporting birds on such a slow time for them here in Minnesota. I guess the flip side is that it is much more manageable and easy to remember. I photographed only 3 species total; another Red-bellied Woodpecker, a Red-tailed Hawk from a long ways away, and finally this Crow who was right above me.
I've gotta say that I don't always pay that much attention to Crows as they are so common, and not much to look at. They're also very hard to photograph because their lack of color often hides their features. So I like how in this photo you can see some of his feathers and even his eye.

Total bird count for Sunday February 17th, 2013
Black-capped Chickadee – 6
Mallard – 8
Red-bellied Woodpecker – 3
Downy Woodpecker – 2
White-breasted Nuthatch – 1
Red-tailed Hawk – 1
Northern Cardinal – 3
American Robin – 1
American Crow – 3

No comments:

Post a Comment