Saturday, June 30, 2012

Last Day of June and First Hummingbird

This Saturday I arrived at the park just after 8:00am to a bright, sunny and cloudless day. I can't believe today is the last day of June already. April, May and June are probably my favorite months now after discovering birding and spring migration. After that it's a little downhill on the birding front for a while. I've not been seeing a lot of Deer lately and in fact I'd really expected to see some newborn Fawns by now. I did catch one this morning shortly after coming round the south side. I thought it made kind of a cool picture because you can the park and street signage in the background. At the railroad ties on the edge of the lake, a flock of unidentified birds were zooming around it a circle, dipping below the edge of the cattails and then coming back up. They were moving too fast for me to make out but they were something I knew I've never seen in the park before. I had a faint idea but it wasn't until I caught a mid-flight photo that I could confirm they were indeed Rock Pigeons! This was such a weird sight to see at Palmer Lake Park. I usually only see Pigeons in more populated areas under bridges and such -not in a more natural area like the park. Just one of them was of a very different color, being more brown and white versus gray. Later I saw a few Crows up ahead and I decided to take few photos only because they were close and in just the right light to see a lot of feather details. Crows, like European Starlings are incredibly tough to photograph because they are so dark. This is probably as much detail as I'd ever seen on a Crow I figured I would post it today. Going round the north side I spotted a tiny little bird on the tip of a dead branch and had to do a double-take. This is the first Hummingbird I've spotted all season though I've been on the lookout for them all this month. Though I've definitely seen them earlier in the park, this date falls right in line with the majority of my Hummingbird sightings. The most common timing to first notice them at the Park is either the last week of June or the first week in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment