Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sunny first visit in March

When I'd left for the park today, the temp at home was reading 41º and the sun was shining against a bright blue sky. I thought it was warm enough not to wear my usual scarf/hood for a change but after about 1/3 of the way around I realized my "spring fever" had diluted my judgement. My face was freezing but I toughed it out the rest of the way. On the north side I noticed quite a few unfamiliar birds that seemed to be either mating or just chasing each other, flying extremely low to the ground before swooping upwards again to the next tree or bush. I had a terrible time getting a photo due to their erratic movements but after reviewing what I did get, I think they were Dark-eyed Junco's. As I made my way around the park I saw little else of interest. There were a group of Robins past the bridge who were busy eating berries laying on top of the snow but that was about it. I was really expecting a lot going on today but it was ironically very quiet. The only other birds I spotted were Cardinals and Chickadees. I did see a couple of Deer way off in the woods but it was much too far away and thick for a photo. This last photo is simply to better describe how the park and trails look as of March. Sun has cleared off the trails quite well but there is still over 2 feet of snow on the ground in most places. Sadly, they are predicting another 6 inches this next Tuesday. Oh by the way, I learned later in the day that our high temp for the day actually only hit 29º. No wonder my face was freezing!

No comments:

Post a Comment