Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lots of Deer and Birds

Today's walk was a bit more interesting than yesterday. The sun had disappeared and as usually happens, there was a lot more wildlife to be seen. The first was a group of four Deer back by the drainage ditch. Lately I've been adding this small offshoot of the trail to my normal routine as I can just about count on seeing Deer there. On my way back to my normal route, there were four more Deer heading in the direction I'd came from. One by one they stepped out into a clear spot before heading back toward the thick stuff. On the northwest side there were tons of birds making tons of noise so I decided to venture in closer. I thought the birds making all the noise were Purple Finches, but now think they were House Finches. Among the ruckus I could hear more unique birds and I found myself walking further into the woods. There a third group of 7 more Deer walked past me -making for a total of 15 Deer today! A short time later I caught a glimpse of what I thought I'd recognized by sound, a Red-bellied Woodpecker. I decided to stalk him for a while in hopes of getting a better photo but it was tough given how thick the woods are here. The only thing I could keep my eye on as he bounced around from tree to tree was his bright red crown. Eventually he settled into a real thick area of trees out in front of me with just barely an opening in my view. The photo shows the rosy red belly patch for which the bird is named. I tried many more times for a Finch photo but eventually gave up and headed back. On the way I heard something above me and looked up to find this Gray Squirrel barking at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment