Monday, March 14, 2011

Here a Deer, there a Deer

This evening was my first after-work visit to the park since last September due to the fact that Daylight Savings Time kicked in over the weekend. I was pretty excited about it too as the sky was mostly sunny with a temperature just shy of 40 degrees! I spotted 3 Deer fairly early into my walk, just behind the baseball diamonds on the west side. Little did I know just how many more I would see. When I got to the foot bridge on the north side, I was curious to see how much more ice had gone off the creek. I looked upstream and noticed at least 10 or more Deer standing out on the thin ice! It was hard to get a count of them cause they were spread out and moving all over the place. Most seemed to be quite interested in drinking the standing water while a few other boisterously darted up and down the banks of the creek. As the group slowly meandered across the creek and into the field near the townhomes, a whole other group of 10 or more Deer started to appear behind them! They too were fascinated by the creek and almost seemed to be "playing chicken" with the thin ice. Many would dart right out to the very edge and then dig in their heels (or hooves) and almost skid right up to the edge of the very thinnest ice. I knew it would happen sooner or later so I was ready for it and caught this moment when one of them broke through. It made quite an awful sound but the Deer kicked and bucked it's way right out in only a few seconds. In all I witnessed this happen three times. I was laughing to myself and thinking this must be what Deer do for fun. I could barely drag myself away but the sun was going down quick so I headed back, assuming I'd just seen every Deer in the whole park. I was wrong though when I noticed a group of 4 more about ten minutes later. These two posed for a quick photo for me. I was rushing by this time, trying to get to an open field to catch the nice sunset that I'd seen setting up through the trees. As soon as I got around the edge of the woods, I just walked out across the snow into an open area. Right as I was framing my shot, I could see something running across the field in my peripheral view. So I waited just a bit before snapping the shutter and caught the first of 5 more Deer heading into the sunset. So basically, I couldn't even take a photo tonight without a Deer in it!!! I figured this a few different ways but I estimate on the conservative side that I saw at least 32 Deer in one visit this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment