Saturday, March 26, 2011

Here comes Spring -oooops just kidding!

After more than a week with temps in the 40's and 50's, I was really getting "Spring-fever." The snow was gone and in places you can see plants and grass actually starting to green up. This trend was short lived however as an early spring snowstorm moved across the upper midwest Tuesday through Wednesday. It started with half and inch of rain, then a fresh coating of 4-5 inches of snow. It was just enough to move this winter up a notch to the 5th snowiest winter in Minnesota history! Like after most snowstorms the temps dipped way back down again -even into the single digits the following day. This Saturday morning the park was barely distinguishable from an average day in January. Melted backwaters that had been attracting ducks last week were now frozen solid again. Since seeing just a handful of Red-winged Blackbirds last Saturday, they're back in huge numbers now and can be seen and heard everywhere. I bet they're thinking they came back too early this year. Despite the chilly temps, the sun was out and birds were plentiful and active. I'm hearing so many birds now it's harder to pick them out but one I did recognize today was that of a Red-bellied Woodpecker. I heard him for a long time before finally spotting him. A short time later I spotted one Hawk and then another. The second was noticeably smaller than the first and had a much longer tail than I'm used to seeing on a Hawk. As far as I can tell from my bird book it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk which would be a first! During this walk I could barely keep track of all the various birds I saw. Here is what I remember: Robin, Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Chickadee, Crow, Blue Jay, House Finch, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Mallard, Hooded Merganser, Ring-billed Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome weekend! Almost seems to easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently received a comment on this last photo that I thought was Sharp-shinned Hawk. I know think it actually may be a "Merlin" which is a type of falcon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59831440@N04/5605434520/in/set-72157626340589955

    ReplyDelete